Friday, September 21, 2012

Peppers

I've been harvesting my peppers lately. There have been some huge ones! I picked these a couple weeks ago to make stuffed peppers from. They're all green bell peppers, but in my waiting to get enough for a batch to stuff (and then some additional procrastination), some of them started to turn red.


Look how big they are!



I didn't know if this one was going to fit in the crock pot or not, but it just barely made it.


I've never made them in the crock pot before, but it was hot out, and I didn't want the oven heating up the house for an hour, so I gave it a try. I chose the slimmest ones, but it was a tight fit, even after sticking them in boiling water to soften them so I could squeeze them in.


Here I added some tomato sauce and their "lids". I've never used the tops when stuffing before either, but I saw a recipe that said to do it, so I tried that, too.


They turned out good, but the peppers were mushier than when I cook them in the oven. I think I like the oven ones better. How do you do yours?

I chopped and froze the other two peppers, and I've since chopped and frozen some red ones. I need to get out there and pick a bunch more before Mother Nature freezes them for me, since she's threatening to do that in the next couple nights!

5 comments:

The Luedtke Family said...

Pretty peppers!
My garden has never produced that many nor that large of peppers . . . ever!

You must be a very grand gardener!

Hope you enjoy many peppers to come!

Not sure I've ever made or eaten a stuffed pepper. I just heard someone talking about stuffed pepper soup. Ever had it? The story teller claimed it came from MN. Enjoy the home grown harvest of produce!

Jessica Jones said...

Sadly, Alex doesn't like stuffed peppers, so I only get to eat them at an Italian restaurant here. I order them every time.

Grandma G said...

I've never heard of stuffed pepper soup, but a quick search found me a lot of recipes. I'm going to give it a try! Thanks for the idea, Becky!

Maybe he'd like stuffed RED peppers, Jess, since he prefers those over green ones?

Anonymous said...

Yum. Beautiful peppers! Did Mother Nature freeze them? Audrey

Grandma G said...

Hi, Audrey! No, the plants have not gotten nipped at all! Unfortunately, I picked all the peppers of any size (which were a lot), and they're still waiting for me to do something with them. The only things that showed any sign of frost were the cantaloupe vines, and they were about done, anyway. There was ice on the birdbath that morning, though!