Monday, July 1, 2013

American Girl doll swimsuits

Is it hot where you are? It's been just nicely hot here... good for growing corn, but not unbearably hot. It's also been good swimming weather. Sooo... Courtney and I decided our "girls" needed swimsuits! I just happened to have downloaded a free pattern from right here at Liberty Jane Patterns. I also happened to have fabric from an old swimsuit of mine that was no longer wearable because the elastic was "crunchy". I even had a piece of fold-over elastic (FOE) that had come wrapped around a bunch of grab bag fabrics I'd ordered a couple years ago (plus I ordered a grab bag of some more FOE from an Etsy shop). So I was all set!

Here's the first one I made:


It's for Courtney's Marie Grace, but modeled by my Kit.



I was very pleased with how it turned out, so then I made another one for Kit herself, from the same swimsuit fabric and just trimmed with a different color of FOE:


Hmm... what next? Swimsuit cover-ups, perhaps?

7 comments:

annie dee said...

LOL. I just asked the girls down the street if they understood that Am Girl dolls can't really go in the pool. And told them that I wanted to make swim suits anyway. I just printed out this pattern!! I've never seen FOE. But now that I do see.... These are really cute suits. Have you ever made a suit for yourself (or your kids)?

Grandma G said...

Ahhh... great minds, huh? :) FOE is fantastic! These are the first swimsuits I've ever made. Have you ever made one before?

annie dee said...

No; no swim suits yet for me. I haven't even started these yet! Let me/us know what you do for a cover up. I think that's the perfect next project to put on the sewing pile.

Grandma G said...

I haven't decided yet what the cover-will be like... need to look around a little. Meanwhile, I got sidetracked making something else. ;)

Grace said...

Kit is just too cute in that adorable swim suit. Such pretty patterns and colors. I bet you hated to see that beautiful suit go. But now you have a lasting memory of the day gone by. Great job!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Grace. Yeah, I did like that suit, but hadn't worn it for many years. I was glad I could upcycle it!

JHNickodemus said...

Ooooh! Cute! My sister, Kirsten, Samantha and I may have some American Girl adventures of our own coming up!