Thursday, April 30, 2015

Easy-Macro fun

I got something new that I've been having soooo much fun with! Well, actually, I got two somethings new, and they go together. First off, Grandpa got me a new iPad Air for my birthday a few weeks ago! It was a grand surprise! My old one, which I'd had for 4+ years, just didn't quite cut it anymore. It kept crashing and kicking me out of websites, and there was a lot I couldn't do on it. It was getting to be somewhat of a pain. This new one is a dream - I love it!

So let's back up to last Christmas. In her stocking, Jess got from Santa (ahem) an Easy-Macro lens, which is for taking very, very, VERY close-up photos. (Santa bought it on a whim, I happen to know.) She's had a ton of fun taking photos using it on her iPhone. Those of you who follow her on Facebook or Instagram ("howaboutorange" on both) have probably seen some of those pics.

So, after getting this iPad, which has a camera (my old one didn't), I decided to get one of those lenses for myself... as a reward for finishing Jess's dress with a successful fit. (Any excuse will do, right?!) Here's what it looks like:


And here's how it fits over the iPad's camera lens:


Yes, it stretches out that far, but returns nicely to its original size when taken off.

I've had a blast experimenting with taking photos of tiny things. Here is my very first shot, and I think it's still my favorite, just because it's so colorful. It's of the pins in my pin cushion!


The veins on a red prayer plant leaf:


A zipper pull:


Edge of a dandelion:


The tip of a teeny-tiny barely noticeable lilac bud:


(So tell me, is that pollen on there? Is that part of the reason allergies get so bad this time of year? I found tiny specks like that on a lot of plants... even on leaves.)

Next is the covering (what would you call it?) on the new growth shoot on an evergreen tree. Those green "poles" are actually needles:


Last, but certainly not least, is the tip on a new shoot of asparagus. I think we ate it for supper last night. :)


Aren't they just such cool shots? You have to get about an inch from your subject and have a REALLY steady hand (or support yourself with something), but it's just so fun to do! I can't wait to find more little things to take pics of. Okay, I already have more pics, but this is all you get for now.

If you want to follow me on Instagram, I succumbed and opened an account there (now that I have a device with a camera and can actually have an account), so you can see Easy-Macro shots and more (maybe even some sewing project peeks!). My user name is Grandma_G415.

(P.S. It appears that Blogger has left the "specks" this time. Do you suppose they heard me??? I certainly hope so!)

12 comments:

Auntie Kris said...

Those are great photos! i might look into one for my iPod.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Kris! Yes, get one! You could even take pics of the threads on your quilts! ;)

Geneviève said...

When I saw the picture of the easy macro lens, the first thing I thought is "Wait, didn't she just say she got an IPad?". Without the picture, I would have had a hard time believing it can stretch so much!

And thanks to Jess who tagged you on a photo, I already follow you and your macro pictures on Instagram :)

Grandma G said...

And I'm following you, too... but you need to put some photos up! Heheh. 😎

Geneviève said...

I know -_-

I am kind of missing the point of Instagram haha but I'll work on it :)

Grandma G said...

Get an Easy-Macro lens... then you'll take lots of pics! ;)

Elaine said...

That is just the coolest thing! Love the pictures you posted.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Elaine! Since you have an iPhone now, you could have fun like this, too. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool device to have. I will have to look into getting one as my Macro shots are always awful.I could take pictures of Puck's whiskers. Bonnie

Grandma G said...

Well, you could, Bonnie... if you could get her to hold perfectly still! Maybe while she's sleeping? 😉

The_berrie said...

Looks like both you and Jess are having a lot of fun with this lens ! Please keep the pictures coming :)

Grandma G said...

Yes we are, Berrie! And I surely will! :)