Friday, June 10, 2011

Young artist at work

With it being so HOT on Tuesday, Courtney needed something to do indoors. (Though she would've spent the whole day out with the kittens, Grandma needed to cool off!) I'd come across a tutorial here for making a "pennant necklace" using just felt scraps and some string or embroidery floss. I thought it would be a good introduction to sewing with a needle and "thread".

Courtney quickly chose pink floss to string the pieces on, and then began to cut. She didn't want just triangles, though, so she decided to be a little more creative and make her own shapes.


She had to get them 'just right'. Look at that discerning eye:



Not quite right... it needed a little more trimming:



She loved the cutting. The "sewing" part required quite a bit of guidance by Grandma's hand. But we finished it, and here it is!



I cut the hearts, BTW. She was impressed that I could fold a piece in half, cut a little, and when she opened it, it actually was a heart! ;) So she tried folding and cutting a piece... it turned into a "bow" (green, on the far left end)! I also helped round the corners off of her circles.


Here she is modeling it (not letting me shorten it up for her)... with her current "picture-taking smile".



If you have young kids at home for the summer that need something to do to fight boredom, check out Skip to My Lou's blog. Each day in the month of June they're featuring a different craft. There are lots of fun things to make for different ages.

3 comments:

The Luedtke Family said...

Thanks for the link! I'll pop over there later. I love the necklace. I also recognize the "frog smile", Simon has that one all the time for pictures.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Awesome job, Courtney! That looks like so much fun!

JHNickodemus said...

Cahyooote! I remember being mystified by hearts for the longest time!