Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year?

We woke up to a white-Christmassy effect this morning to start out the New Year.  I'm not sure how happy anybody is with it.  It doesn't grab me a whole lot, but I guess it makes for pretty pictures.  I'm getting spoiled this winter, though, and I prefer the brown look.  I think we'll have that back in a few days, however, as the temperatures are forecast to get into the upper 40's again - YAY!!

(Click any photo for a much better look!)

The snow came down fast, heavy, and horizontally when it fell before midnight last night.  It was 34° at the time, so the snow kinda "splatted" when it hit the windows.  It left a rather bumpy layer on the ground.


I happened to see this little guy running across the snow:


He'd apparently been to the cornfield.... and was stocking up for winter?  He tried first to bury his corn, but I guess he decided the snow wasn't deep enough, so he changed his mind and started to eat it on the spot.


I don't know if he saw me at the window, or just decided the tree would be a better place for breakfast, but he left the husk (to the right of the tree), and ran up the tree.  He's perched just below the sun.


Here's a little better look:

(Click to enlarge.)

It's gotten very windy, and from where I sit, I can see snow blowing past the window occasionally.  I guess it's really winter now.  I don't mind (much).  So far it's been such a relief from the kind of winters we had the last two years, and there's warmth and melting in the very near future!

So whatever you're seeing out your own windows today, I hope you see the beauty in it.  And I hope 2012 brings you lots of blessings.  Don't get too busy 'doing' that you miss them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks about like what we have here.
Hope you're right about the thaw coming again.
I'm enjoying the brown too.
May it continue to be so.

And may your year be a good one even if it will only be about 355 days long. ( you know they say all will end in late December )

Dale

On New Years Eve we drank a lot of squilliz. ( no headache )

Grandma G said...

Happy New Year, Dale! And thanks for all your fun comments! Glad you tried the squilliz. ;)