Monday, May 13, 2013

More moos & mmmmm!

The cows we have now came from out west... Montana, I believe. They'd been out on the open range, so they have been branded. I managed to get a couple shots of brands. This first one, on the shoulder, is pretty simple, a "U" (horseshoe?) above an inverted "U". I wonder what it's called - "Double U"? Ha, I doubt it.


The one below is more interesting. Anybody want to venture a guess or come up with a name for it? I have no idea what it stands for. Maybe "So smiley"? Haha.


The calves are so cute. I've been hoping to get better videos of them running around and kicking up their heels, but they don't cooperate very well. If I happen to see them from up by the house, by the time I get there with the camera, they've quit. One time they were tearing across the cattle yard as fast as they could run... looked like they were practicing for the rodeo. :) Here's the best clip I could get... not quite the rodeo run, but cute, anyway.


Most of them are all black. Not too interesting. But there are a few that stand out from the rest, like this one, known as "Chocolate". :)


There's one with a white face, which you saw here. Then there's this one, which just might be my favorite:


I love its white markings, particularly inside the ears. This one was hungry!


It seemed to be thoroughly enjoying its meal, making quite loud slurping sounds. :) You'll have to turn the volume waaay up to hear it, though:


Sometimes those big black calves can be downright scary!!

"Where'd she go? I wanted to play!"

5 comments:

Jessica Jones said...

I like this post.

Grandma G said...

Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

What will you name the one with the white spots ?

Maybe "Four Eyes"?

Dale

Grandma G said...

No! That'd make it sound like the poor thing wore glasses. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those cows are sooo big and hefty compared to the svelte holsteins. Even the calves look big though they seem to act like calves. Thanks for the cultural contrasts.
Ellen