Thursday, February 27, 2014

Get Carded wallet

No more stalling! Today it's a FINISH! It's a "Get Carded" wallet, from the pattern by Erin Erickson. She is the most incredible pattern-writer! I'd like to get inside her mind sometime to see how it works... but it'd probably be too busy for me and simply blow me away. :) That girl thinks of EVERYTHING... not only how to make a pattern for sewing something that comes together perfectly, but how to make it easy to do it. She includes so many how-to's and photos demonstrating them, you just can't go wrong!

Here's my little Get Carded wallet, which is one of the three variations the pattern offers. This one has the gathered front pocket:


The inside has plenty of card slots, and one deeper pocket for paper money. Velcro holds it securely together so nothing can fall out when it's folded:


The back has a clear vinyl (thanks for that, Kris!) pocket...


... to hold your ID card, which comes in handy if you get carded a lot. I don't have that problem. :) It might be a better place for my library card if I could find it. But fortunately I have a smaller one on my key ring.


I like the gathered pocket, because it has room for coins without looking bulky:


Yet it's little! It fits easily in a pocket!


I love it!! It was very fun to sew, too... kind of addicting, in fact. The other variations are a plain, flat pocket and a single-pleated one. I plan to try them both. Also, there's an option for adding a wrist strap that attaches with a lobster clip. Yep, I must try that, too! So stay tuned for more wallets to appear here, hopefully in the near future. Now that I know how it goes together, future ones will go much faster (famous last words again? yeah, you know me...).

Incidentally, if the pattern interests you, it's on sale for $2 off through tomorrow. Go grab one quickly from Erin's shop!

15 comments:

Jessica Jones said...

Soooo cute. Your driver's license photo is pretty bad, though.

Jessica Jones said...

Instead of 10 pounds, the camera added sideburns.

Grandma G said...

They're ALWAYS bad! Ya just never know what you're gonna get!

(And I am such an artist. Sure didn't get my talent from you!)

:-)

LiEr said...

What - you didn't patchwork-piece that pleated panel in order to match the print at the folds? ;) Tell me now- it DID cross your mind, right?

Okay, I love the wallet. It is one of those practical compact things that doesn't allow you to bulk up your money, receipts, frequent-buyer membership stamp cards, shopping lists, and coins in two currencies. Which you then drop on your foot by accident and it feels like an anvil. Maybe I need to swop my anvil for this featherweight.

And the wrist strap is a nice add-on idea. Very chic.

Grandma G said...

In all honesty... no, it didn't even cross my mind! I know... I just wasn't myself. :) Actually, I had no idea what piece was gonna end up where, so I couldn't have matched it up even if it HAD crossed my mind. Now I know, so next time.... Ha! No way!! :)

And thank you. :)

Erin @ Dog Under My Desk said...

I love it!! So cute. I'm thrilled you like the pattern. Thanks for the review!!

Grandma G said...

Thank YOU, Erin! I couldn't have done it without you. :)

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee!

Unknown said...

CUTE! I made one the day after the pattern was available and LOVE it, as I do all of Erin's stuff!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Julie! Yes, Erin's patterns are awesome!

The Luedtke Family said...

Very nice, as always!

Auntie Kris said...

Very cute, and functional! I may need to give this a try. Glad you were able to use the vinyl.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Becky!

Thank you, Kris. I'd be happy to make one for you in exchange for the vinyl!

Auntie Kris said...

Grandma G..
That is a deal I simply cannot pass up. I believe I've shared my dread of three dimensional projects:-)

Grandma G said...

Great, Kris! They're so fun to make, and I'm glad to have a reason to make another one. Be thinking about colors/fabrics and what kind of an outside pocket you'd like (gathered, pleated or plain), and I'll email you.