Monday, June 3, 2013

Baby robins update

Remember the tiny baby robins I showed you here? I checked on them yesterday to see how they were doing. As I walked out there, I met Mama kitty walking away from the trees. I thought "Uh oh!", because she's a great hunter, and I've known her to get into bird nests before.


Next I saw this tom cat in the grass right next to the tree with the nest. "Uh oh!" some more. This was not looking good.


Well, Mama and the tom must've been up to something else, because the robin babies were just fine! The third egg had hatched out also, and the babies were making good progress. Look how much they've grown in just 6 days... notice the wing feathers coming out:


I wonder where the mama robin got her nest-building mud from. It was apparently from a weedy spot, and with all the wet weather we've had, the weeds have sprouted from the nest! Funny!


I didn't disturb the babies to try and get an open-beak shot.  I didn't want to give the cats any clues that they were there!

3 comments:

Jessica Jones said...

I love that the nest is growing!

The Luedtke Family said...

Camouflage. Obviously needed with all the cat activity. Smart mama bird.

Grandma G said...

Camouflage - you're right, Becky! :)