Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What would you make...

... if someone (e.g. Courtney's mommy) gave you a pair of pants (e.g. of Courtney's) that could no longer be worn because the elastic in the waist was worn out, and she said "do whatever you want with them"?


What if you just happened to have already purchased the perfect Liberty Jane pattern...

... and a package of pretty little separating zippers?


What would you make? You'd make an American Girl doll hoodie, of course! At least that's how it worked out for me. And here it is:


I knew as soon as I saw those pants what they'd become! The waistband had ribbing over the worn-out elastic. It became the ribbing for the cuffs and the bottom of the hoodie. There was exactly enough!

Here's my little Kit, modeling it for you:






If you noticed, the pants had an applique on them. So does the hoodie!


It's for Courtney's Marie Grace. If she wants it, of course. Haha. I think Kit would like to keep it for herself. I guess I'll just have to make another one! It was actually very easy to make... much easier than you would think by looking at it. The pants fabric was quite stretchy, so that made sewing it a little more challenging, but it still wasn't bad. I guess I'll have to hunt up some more fabric and ribbing. Anybody have any worn out pants? ;)

15 comments:

annie dee said...

I love it! Fantastic upcycle! Lucky dolls and granddaughter. I'm sharing this post with everyone I know.

JHNickodemus said...

Oh my goodness!!!! You amaze me!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok! you should start selling these little clothes they are amazing. Also never heard of "upcycling", heard all the other repurpose, reuse and recycle. So if there is an upcycle then there must be a downcycle, just thinking. Can you believe I actually commented on a sewing entry, must show how amazing I think this is. Mark

Auntie Kris said...

Oh, my, goodness... That is so cute! What a great use for a tired pair of knit pants. I love how you reused the embellishment! Great job!
I should send you my odds and ends just to see what you come up with!

The Luedtke Family said...

That is super adorable! Marie Grace will need her own dresser or closet pretty soon.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, everybody! :)

Mark... I've thought of the possibility of selling them, but only for a second now and then. First of all, it'd take most of the fun out of it, if I 'had to' produce enough to sell. Plus, I'd never make any headway, anyway... creating for two dolls is about all I can manage right now. :)

Kris... I do take donations. But don't send (or bring) if they're something you might use yourself!

Becky... you're absolutely right on the storage! ;)

LiEr said...

Luverly! But said that already to you via email. Ah... applique. And here I was being all jealous that you had a secret embroidery machine. Because I don't have an embroidery machine, secret or otherwise. I just love that hoodie. So, so cute.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, LiEr! :)

schokominza said...

great upcycling idea!!! so cute!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, schokominza!

Anonymous said...

Grandma G! I just found your blog. I've been following How About Orange for years but never realized you had a blog of your own! Can I just tell you how AWESOME you are for turning pants into a hoodie?! So cute!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, anonymous! Glad you found your way over! :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is making me rethink the stack of clothes I have in the donation pile. Where did you get those zippers?

Grandma G said...

They came from Nancy's Notions here.

Grandma G said...

P.S. You can also buy them individually.