Friday, July 18, 2014

American Girl doll Bandeau Top and Jeans Shorts

It's been a while, but I sewed again! Finally. A couple of small, quick projects that at least made me feel like I accomplished something creative.

Courtney was here yesterday instead of Tuesday, and I finished sewing while she was here, and then she assisted me with the photo shoot, which we chose to do outdoors for a change. So excuse the somewhat washed-out photos which I took in kind of a hurry. There was no time to check them on the computer before she took the clothes home with her (not that I'd have been ambitious enough to reshoot them, anyway).


The top was made from a pattern I got from Pixie Faire (formerly Liberty Jane Patterns) on one of their "free pattern Fridays". It's the Bandeau Top. It was very easy to sew. Courtney chose the fabric from some grab bag fabrics I got a long time ago. (Don't pay any attention to how the print isn't straight - that was the weirdestly-crooked off-grain print I've ever seen!)


The only thing I would do differently if I made it again is to make the ties at least a couple of inches longer. It was hard enough for me to tie in the back, and Courtney's little fingers weren't even able to make a bow.


Aside: Courtney was very impressed with the little braid I put in Kit's hair. I liked how her one-and-only barrette went with the top. :)


I made the cut-off shorts from the Jeans pattern I've used a couple of times before. The fabric is from an old worn-out pair of my own capris - the knees had holes (genuinely worn - they weren't there when I bought them!), but the backs were fine. I of course did the topstitching to make them look "real".


I even fancied up the back pockets with a decorative stitch. It's a bit hard to see the detail in the photo, though.


When I made the jeans before, I used a twin needle for the double lines of stitching. I didn't this time, though, because it seemed easier to stitch two lines than to thread the twin needle. They turned out almost as good, anyway, I think.

After Kit did her modeling job, Courtney dressed her Marie Grace (who was conveniently along yesterday) in the clothes for a pic, too, since the outfit actually was hers.


I liked her pretty shoes!


And of course I couldn't leave out my cute assistant herself!


Soooo.... I'm back in the sewing mood! And I have a plan for the next project(s). Now just for the time. Summer is always so busy.

2 comments:

annie dee said...

Love this outfit! Double single needle stitching is perfect too. Will the top stay up without using the ties?

Grandma G said...

Thank you! Hmm... it probably wouldn't stay up very well without the ties. It's kind of loose, in fact after putting in the velcro and trying it on, I considered taking the velcro off and moving it over a bit, but I was too lazy. If I make another, I might cut it a little slimmer. The ties should be okay with just a plain knot if it doesn't get pulled too tight.