Saturday, July 19, 2008

More blue eggs

A few days ago, I checked the wren nest just to see if the egg was still in it, even though I knew it had been abandoned. The egg was gone, and it looked like something had partially dismantled the nest. Then I noticed I was being scolded, so I thought maybe the wrens had rebuilt their nest somewhere in the same bush. Of course, snoopy me had to start searching for it.

It didn't take me long to discover this new nest not far from the other one. It was a very neat little nest, similar to the original one (and I have to give the birds credit for practicality in using nest materials so readily available). However, looking into it, I was quite surprised to see that though these eggs were about the size of wren eggs, they were a different color!

Then I had to do some internet searching to figure out what kind of eggs they were. It turns out that they are chipping sparrow eggs. I have no idea when they will hatch but I'll keep peeking, and I will post a "birth announcement" and future photos.

Note: This post has been updated to correct identification of the nest and eggs. My apologies for any confusion!!

No comments: