Monday, April 15, 2013

American Girl doll skinny jeans and shirt

Subtitle:  "What I did last week to combat the gloom and whiteness around here."

Courtney had several "snow days" off from school last week, and she spent two of them here (the other two with her other grandparents). On Wednesday, I was so sick of the heavy weather and whiteness that I decided I needed to do something colorful.  I had Courtney help me pick out fabric for a shirt for her AG doll, Marie Grace. She chose a multi-colored stripe knit, which was one I'd used to make a shirt for Jess out of when she was little. I had even saved a tiny strip of the ribbing that was left, and it turned out to be just big enough to put on the neck of the shirt.

I cut out and started sewing the shirt while Courtney was here. I used the same pattern I'd used for this shirt, only I made the long sleeve version this time. 

I finished it after Courtney had left, and since she had taken her doll with her, I had no pants for my doll to model it with. So, I decided to whip up a pair of pants to go with the shirt! I used the same pattern that I'd used for the jeans, but I skipped the topstitching and the back pockets, so they went together pretty fast. I also trimmed down the legs a bit, to get rid of the boot cut, and I shortened them a half inch.

TADA!!!


Storm update:  Most of the ice has melted off the trees, etc., leaving a mess of downed branches. There's lots of snow left, and the birds continue to struggle to find food. Courtney's family finally got their electricity back, after nearly four days without it! Things are looking up a bit, but there's still that ugly 's' word in the forecast for later this week, and not much warmup in sight. Ugh. Guess I'll keep sewing colorful things!

6 comments:

Auntie Kris said...

I love the green pants! Colored bottoms are the 'in' thing this year. Kit is right in style.

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Kris! Courtney loved 'em, too. She also liked the ribbing on the shirt neck. :)

annie dee said...

Very nice!

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Annie Dee!

JHNickodemus said...

Okay, seriously, "whipped up some skinny jeans" you are awesome!

Grandma G said...

They're easier than you'd think... but thanks, anyway. :)