Monday, June 23, 2014

Oh, deer...

I was outside a few evenings ago and happened to see a deer walk into our evergreen trees. Of course I wanted to try and get a photo, so I ran in for the camera, switched lenses, and headed back outside. He'd gotten a long way by the time I got out there, though, so the pics aren't the greatest, not to mention that there wasn't a lot of daylight left. Here he is in our soybean field, and obviously he'd seen me coming.


Yes, it's a buck. If you click on the pics to enlarge a bit, you can see his small antlers.


(Incidentally, did you notice all the cornstalks on the ground from last year's corn? That's what all those flooded fields looked like before the rushing waters washed the cornstalks into those piles.)

He didn't stand around long before he took off...


... and leapt up onto the road...


... where he carefully looked both ways...


... and trotted off with his tail in the air.


The end. Literally. Ahem. :)

My favorite deer story is still the little fawn I found a few years ago. If you haven't seen the videos, check them out here. The followup story with more photos is here.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I like to watch deer run around. Sometimes it looks like they have springs on their feet as they leap and bounce along.