Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The fawn story

My apologies for keeping you waiting so long for the story behind the fawn videos... it was a busy day. I had to do the grocery run plus buy some flowers and get them planted before the forecasted rains come. Good job done.

So here we go... early this morning I was outside in front of the house and heard this strange noise. It sorta sounded like a bird, but the longer I listened, the more it sounded like an animal. I moved to the edge of the driveway and looked down into the trees for a bit, and suddenly I saw the fawn moving about as it cried. So of course I ran back to the house for my camera. I decided to brave the wet grass and potential for wood ticks and went down through the trees.

As I made my way to the fawn, I saw its mother also heading toward it. But then she saw me and ran off somewhere, so I continued to the fawn. Obviously, it wasn't very afraid of me. I snapped a few pics, then started talking to it, and it started coming toward me, which is when I took the videos. It actually came right up to me and sniffed at my legs, as shown in the center picture below.

It was so adorable, and I wanted soooooo badly to pet it, but I didn't. I was afraid if I did, my scent on it might cause its mother to reject it. So I took a few more pics and left, hoping the doe wasn't far away and would come and take care of her baby.

I listened outside several times during the rest of the day, and I didn't hear anything, so I assumed all was well. Until early this evening. I heard the fawn crying again. So now I don't know if its mother actually came and fed it or not.

Perhaps she hadn't been feeding it before, and that's why it was wandering around and crying? Or maybe she'd just been off grazing somewhere and was just returning to feed it when I found it this morning? And was off again this evening? I have no idea, and I'll just have to wait and see what happens. But I'm kinda worried about it.....

Thursday morning update: All was quiet this morning. Hopefully Mama Doe is doing her job. If I learn anything new, I'll let you know in a new post. Otherwise, let's hope no news is good news.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, My Goodness. That must have been thrilling. Your photos are so pretty. I love the contrast of the different typs of folage. The long grass and the dark lush alfalfa. He/she is so cute. grace