Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fawn update

I was just outside and heard the fawn crying again. I thought, "Uh oh!" So I waded through the long wet grass and alfalfa (it's been rainy/foggy/drizzly all day) to find it. On my way down, I saw Mama Doe again, so that made me feel better. She and I stared at each other for a bit, and then she took off. I continued on to check on her baby, saw it in the distance and called to it... and it came right to me! I loved that! Still didn't touch it, though. It looked to be in good shape, so I'm assuming Mama is taking good care of it. It must just be an insistent little one when it's hungry! :-)

And now I must go change out of my wet jeans and make us some supper, 'cause I'm hungry, too! ;-)

An added note: Hubby said tonight that a friend told him that when a doe has twins, which is quite common, she doesn't keep both fawns in the same place. I did a little Google searching just now and found this article by the Maryland DNR titled Think Twice Before "Rescuing" That White-Tailed Fawn! It said they can be separated by up to 200 feet! So it's possible that there's another baby around here somewhere. That could explain this one's cries... maybe a little extra loneliness and/or hunger pangs because Mama isn't around much.

You learn something new every day! At least this was new to me!

No comments: